KIWI Hedge Cutting Barnham
Hedge cutting is not just a matter of aesthetics, but also a way of caring for the environment and wildlife. Hedges are rows of shrubs or trees that form a boundary or a screen in a garden or landscape. They provide many benefits such as shelter and food for birds and insects, soil protection and water retention, carbon storage and greenhouse gas reduction, and visual appeal and diversity. However, hedges need regular trimming or pruning to maintain their health and function.
When is the best time to trim hedges in Barnham, West Sussex?
The best time to trim hedges in West Sussex depends on the type and style of hedge, but generally, it should be done between spring and summer when hedges experience most growth. However, there are some exceptions and considerations:
- Formal evergreen hedges such as box and yew are usually trimmed several times during growing season to create crisp lines.
- Informal flowering hedges such as Escallonia and Viburnum tinus are pruned immediately after flowering to encourage more blooms.
- Deciduous hedges such as hornbeam and beech are pruned once in late summer to retain their leaves in winter.
- Hedges that contain protected or endangered species should not be trimmed during their nesting or breeding season (March to August), as it is an offence under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.
- Hedges that mark a boundary of a parish, an estate, a manor, a field system, or an archaeological site may be protected by law and require permission before trimming.
It is also advisable to avoid trimming hedges when the weather is dry, as this can stress the plants and cause dieback. It is better to trim hedges when the soil is moist and the air is humid.
Fully Insured & Qualified
Our tree surgeons have unrivalled experience in tree care and maintenance and have been working in the arboricultural industry for over 10 years.
What Our Customers Say About Us… We’re proud to have some pretty awesome people as customers! And we’re humbled by the pretty nice things they say about us and the service we offer. Please review us on Google! Click here.